How to spot a scam rental Ad!
If you are currently looking for a rental, there is a chance you have come across rentals that seem too good to be true. There are ways home hunters can lower the likelihood of getting caught up in a rental scam. Below are things to be mindful of during your home search.
- Being asked to pay a deposit sight unseen or a deposit which is higher than what is required by law is a sign the property is likely a scam.
- Having to provide your credit score, references and employment verification is part of standard tenant applications. If the potential landlord doesn’t require any form of tenant screening, its suspicious.
- Never rent a property that you are unable to view or have someone view on your behalf. If the landlord says they are out of the country and unable to meet or have someone show you around the Property, the property is likely a scam.
- Do research on rental prices in the area you are looking for. Though asking rent that is below current rental value isn’t an immediate sign of scam, be cautious if it seems to good to be true.
What to do if you fall to a scam?
- Contact your local authorities. They may be able to find the person responsible and return any money you may have lost
- Make sure to flag the listing and contact the listing website. The website can track down all previous contacts and advise everyone of the scam.
Are you looking for a new place to call home? We’re here to help. These are stressful times and looking for a new rental home is already stressful; it doesn’t need to be more stressful. We’ve created a new service to help you find the right home or apartment that meets your personal and financial needs. Let us take some of the stress off of you. Get in touch today and let us advocate on your behalf.
Are you looking for a new place to call home? Contact Kim Ashton at firstname.lastname@example.org These are stressful times and looking for a new rental home is already challenging; it doesn’t need to be more hectic. We’ve created a new service to help you find the right home or apartment that meets your personal and financial needs. Let us take some of the stress off you. Get in touch today and let us advocate on your behalf.
We have new divsions!
If you are an individual or family planning to move to Vancouver Island, or you're a homeowner looking for a new tenant, we have new services just for you.
We are pleased to announce that we are now offering both relocation services and tenant locating services across Greater Victoria. Click on the links below to learn more.