Simple Rodent Control Tips
Almost all homeowners know the feeling of unease that comes along with finding mice or rodents in your home. Whether in the kitchen, attic or basement – a rodent sighting can incite surprise and fear in even the most composed homeowner. Unfortunately, these common pests are resourceful creatures that can enter a building or home through the smallest opening or crack and require very little space to travel inside. Mice can easily fit through spaces as small as a nickel!
Pest control company Orkin Canada has put together its annual list of the top “rattiest cites” in Canada, and B.C.’s capital is high up on the list. Victoria was ranked the seventh rattiest city in the country, and the fourth rattiest city in B.C. this year. As cooler temperatures start rolling in, now is our time to act proactive in prevent these rodents as they will l begin to seek indoor shelter, and once inside they can cause more than an unpleasant infestation. Rodents put homes at risk for electrical fires by gnawing through wires. More frequently, though, rodents serve as vectors, carrying bacteria, such as salmonella, on their bodies and contaminating food sources, kitchen surfaces and equipment. Below are some Rodent Control tips so you can proactively prevent and get rid of infestations in your home.
Simple Rodent Control Tips:
- Install door sweeps on exterior doors and repair damaged screens.
- Screen vents and openings to chimneys.
- Seal cracks and holes on the outside of the home, including areas where utilities and pipes enter the home, using caulk, steel wool or a combination of both.
- Store food in airtight containers and dispose of garbage regularly.
- Keep attics, basements, and crawl spaces well ventilated and dry.
- Replace loose mortar and weather stripping around the basement foundation and windows.
- Eliminate all moisture sites, including leaking pipes and clogged drains that provide the perfect breeding site for pests.
- Inspect items such as boxes, grocery bags and other packages brought into the home.
- Store firewood at least 20 feet away from the house and keep shrubbery trimmed and cut back from the house.
- If you suspect a pest infestation in your home, contact a licensed pest professional to inspect and treat the pest problem.
If you spot evidence of a rodent infestation, do not hesitate to act to handle the problem. Rodents are known to reproduce quickly, and a small problem can turn into a big issue overnight if left untreated.
Pemberton Holmes was rated the #1 Property Management company in the Greater Victoria Area. If you have any questions regarding the process of renting out your property, give us a call. One of our licensed managers would be happy to assist. 250-478-9141.
Are you looking for a new place to call home? Contact our Relocation Department at Ilanap@thepropertymanagers.ca – These are stressful times and looking for a new rental home is already challenging; it doesn’t need to be more hectic. We’ve created a new service to help you find the right home or apartment that meets your personal and financial needs. Let us take some of the stress off you. Get in touch today and let us advocate on your behalf.